Monday, March 25, 2013

If we let it, the fire will burn us all to the ground

He has pretty blue eyes, she said to me, if nothing else he has those eyes. And I couldn't see how she thought that. His pretty blue eyes and thick dark hair were just the start of his infinite perfection. Just the start of his beauty. He was brilliant, dark and mysterious, with a full past, and a bright future. He had everything, and pretty blue eyes to top it all off.

I was quiet and new and didn't know how to be quiet and new. He told me it was okay, I didn't have to make any more friends. He was there, he said, and he loved me, he said, so I don't need anyone else, he said. And I believed him because he was right so often he had to be right then too, even if I didn't deserve him.

He said it and I believed it. I believed it because what more could I ask for? I believed it because he cared so much, always calling; to see where I was, who I was with, what we were doing, why wasn't he invited? I believed it because he worried so much about me; why was I late, why didn't I answer the phone, why wasn't I at school? I believed it because he always wanted more of me; one more kiss, five more minutes, please don't go yet, tell me again that you love me, just a little farther.


Soon enough he realised we didn't deserve each other though, and that was when everything changed. I was always late, always flirting, always leaving before he wanted me to, never had the right answer, never wore the right clothes, never knew what he wanted, wouldn't give him everything he wanted even if I could. I never really loved him at all, did I?


I didn't understand him and how much he loved me, he said. I didn't love him or I would stay the night, he said. I didn't deserve to be loved like he loved me, he said. And I believed him. I believed him because he had so many demons, they poured out of his soul with every word he yelled. I believed him because he was burning, burning with so much love it left my check red as he reminded me that I was his. I believed him because he had pretty blue eyes and thick dark hair to cover all of his infinite perfection and all I had was my bruised soul and tear stained face to hide behind.



I stayed because he had so many demons, they poured out of his soul with every word he yelled, and he said he loved me for taking them from him. I stayed because he was burning, burning with so much love it left my check red as he reminded me that I was his, and I didn't want his spark to go out.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my freaking gosh, that last paragraph was so freaking good. It was a perfect final note to this symphony...
    thank you.


    P.S. I may or may not have started to choke up...

    ReplyDelete