Sunday, March 10, 2013

I didn't think we would find our way here

The dictionary would tell you that space and distance are very much similar but I can't see it that way. Space and distance are two different things entirely. How else could you explain feeling so close and so far at the same time?

It is 12.2 miles from my house to yours. It takes me 17 minutes when I hit all of the red lights. Which we both know I always do. Add an extra minute to park my car and walk inside. It would take longer if I knocked. The distance between us is a lot more than that though. I don't think you know why I'm mad and I don't want to say sorry for what I said. And with every passing second the distance we are keeping in our space is growing.

2,115 miles and a stop at the border is a lot of space between us, but I don't feel it most days. Your heart is in mine and mine is in yours and the distance between us is nonexistent. There is no way to get closer to you. Maybe that is why we never had sex, because we didn't didn't have enough distance to feel like we needed to get rid of all the space between us.

 17.8 feet is all the space that we've put between us but even when I drove 669 miles I couldn't make the space greater than the distance. Years of me not being good enough and you not being there enough and neither of us loving each other enough have made the distance too big to cross. And you don't even know how sad that makes me.

Distance was a funny thing with you from the moment we met. You were already in my head by the time I knew your name and we some how kept getting closer every day. So maybe the 1,678 miles, different high schools and busy schedules were something we needed. At any rate, it is good to know that even when the space is great you can still read my mind.

 I can't get any space between me and the thoughts that haunt me, they are always right there with me, climbing over everything else in my brain to get to the top but every day the distance between them and me is increasing. Everyday I run a little faster and lose who I was around another corner and the distance dividing her and me grows.

So don't try and tell me space is the same as distance, because if it were I would be too far to feel his love and who I was would be too close to who I am and nothing would be how it is.

1 comment:

  1. "...Who I was would be too close to who I am..."
    I dunno.
    I'm stealing it, though.

    ReplyDelete